Thursday, December 8, 2011

Corrective Relaxer: The Aftermath

I wanted to cry last night...over my hair. Yes I know 'it's never that serious' but gosh darnit I just want my hair to be straight!!

In one last desperate attempt to fix my underprocessed parts once and for all, I decided to switch from ORS no-lye to ORS lye and do a corrective at 6 weeks post. I mentioned the dry, wiry condition of my underprocessed hair a couple posts back, and how because of it I was experiencing more breakage than usual. I literally heard 'snap, crackle, pop!' whenever I detangled my roots :(

I pre-parted and sectioned off my hair and it took me about 10 mins to apply relaxer to all my new growth. I then used the remaining time to simultaneously smooth my hair and 'pull' or pass the relaxer onto my underprocessed hair.
I rinsed at exactly 25 mins post, which is the maximum time allowed according to the directions on the jar.
After rinsing I applied Aphogee 2 min reconstructor and some V05 moisture milk conditioner for about 5 mins. I neutralized twice, the first time I let it sit for about 10 mins (I was on the phone) and the second time for about 3 mins.
I then applied my leave-in and roller set as usual.

At this point I had already realized that my underprocessed hair was STILL underprocessed, I will admit that it did go from curly and frizzy to wavy and 'smooth' feeling but its still not bone straight. However, my freshly relaxed roots were pretty straight......and although I didn't want to, I had to admit to myself that maybe this was just something I am going to have to live with.

According to Shamboosie in his book 'Beautiful Black hair',

"When you are relaxing hair that has previously been relaxed with no-lye relaxer and that hair was not properly straightened, the no-lye relaxer will "lock-in" the remaining curl pattern in the hair. When this happens, nothing, not relaxer, thio, or anything else will be able to break this hair down and remove the curl. The only hair that will become straight is the new growth, the hair closest to the scalp."

Shamboosie also makes the point that applying lye relaxer over the no-lye underprocessed parts will help to 'condition' the hair and decrease breakage, and I really hope it does. At this point i have overlapped onto that hair twice and refuse to do so again and risk damaging it.

On the bright side I am LOVING how soft the lye relaxer makes my hair feel, and I think this switch will be permanent. I was initially scared of scalp burns but I didnt get not one! Not the slightest tingle or anything which is shocking because I didn't base my scalp and I also scratched my hair yesterday. I'm typing this at work so pics will be added later, and I am holding off on doing a progress pic til I get my hair blown out at the end of December.

4 comments:

  1. I've got those parts of my hair aswell.. only because I find it so hard to apply at the back, I only use no-lye relaxers since I always experience burns in my scalp, whoever does it, so I decided to do it myself with a really gentle relaxer last time, which resulted in a not fully relaxed hair. But good luck x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I have some underprocessed parts that are now nearing my ends. I just accepted it as life and kept it moving. Interesting point though about the no-lye vs lye when attempting a corrective.

    P.S. you know you wrong for no pics, right! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for following my blog. I'm more than happy to return the support. Sorry to hear about your underprocessed area but sometime these thing happen. That would be great for me being I'm telaxed lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So i caved and posted an update pic in my new post, and yeh i've pretty much come to terms with the fact that i'll have to live with these texlaxed patches. As long as the breakage stops i'll be happy with that. Thanks for reading guys!

    ReplyDelete