Thursday, February 23, 2012

DIY: Clip In Extensions (Pic Heavy)

I made the decision early on that I wanted hair extensions this year. Last year my carnival prep was pretty laid back and I wanted to go all out this time and do my costume justice. I had asked for opinions on some ebay clip ins a while back, and I would definitely recommend AGAINST using that particular seller. The wefts were incredibly thin and they were also shedding. They looked nothing like the extensions pictured in the posting.

After some youtube-ing I decided to try my hand at creating my own clip in extensions, and they turned out great!

What you'll need:
1-2 packs of hair of your choice
wig clips
weave needle
weave thread
regular thread *
regular needle *

*I'll explain why i needed these in a little while

I selected Outre's SOL Yaki hair in 1B which was pretty much a jet black color. I chose 14 inch wefts which hit me at bsl/mbl. I bought 2 packs of this hair and used about a pack and a half for my clip ins. They cost me about $25 per pack at my local beauty supply store. I had my reservations about using this brand, as I thought it was too cheap to be real human hair but I was able to use a curling iron on it with no negative effects so...I guess it really was 100% human hair.



I initially tripled my wefts, as I knew ulovemegz had doubled hers and my hair is thicker than hers is, but that still wasn't thick enough :S. I ended up having to quintuple them...(if thats the right phrase). I parted my hair into two halves then measured the ear to ear distance at the back of my head. Using those measurements I created two quintupled wefts for the lower back portion and two tripled wefts for the upper back portion. I didn't want to quintuple the upper wefts because the seams turned out pretty thick and I thought it may have shown. The two tripled wefts were clipped next to each other at the crown of my head as opposed to one above the other. By doing this they 'intersected' with the front half of my hair so I didn't have to make as many clip ins for the front of my hair.

You can see below where I used the black thread to sew the wefts together, with the weave needle. I then sewed the wig clips on using a regular needle and regular (brown) thread. This was because the weave needle was too big to fit through the holes in the wig clips. I made sure to pass the needle through a few extra times as the regular thread is thinner than weaving thread.





Below are the thinner tripled up wefts. (In the process of acrylic nail removal so my fingers are ratty looking, hence the blur lol)



I then made three 1 inch clip ins for the front half of my head, these were also quintuple wefts. One for the left side and two for the right as I usually wear my hair with a side part. Two of them are pictured below, one clearly still has some leftover curl... 



I curled the ends a bit as I thought they looked too thin when straight, as well as I'm not really a fan of dead straight hair. Pic of the ends can be seen below...these pieces also still hav a lil bit of their curl, they don't look that awful once they're properly brushed out.



I loved my clip in pieces! I got a lot of compliments on them and many people thought it was my hair. Even my friend who saw me clipping them in said 'Roanna that really looks like your hair!' They took a lot of 'jammin' as I whipped my hair all over on both Carnival monday and Tuesday but at no point in time did they ever loosen up or feel like they were going to fall out. They are also still in a good enough condition to be reused, as a matter of fact all the pics for this post were taken after I had already worn them. 

I would definitely recommend this hair for anyone lookin for a cheap weave, as I didn't have any problems with shedding or tangling, and it was a great match in terms of texture. Hopefully this post was informative, if anyone has questions or needs more info feel free to leave a comment below! 




5 comments:

  1. I have been thinking about making some clip ins soon. I need to watch more YT Videos first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would say go for it, once you know how to use a needle and thread you should find it easy!

      Delete
  2. Your work article, blogs I mean over all contents is must read stuff.
    platinum blonde clip in hair extensions

    ReplyDelete